Early in 2023, EDF Group has launched its subsidiary, NUWARD, an exciting venture dedicated to the development of its small modular reactor (SMR) technology
Built on the unique experience and the unparalleled expertise of EDF, Edvance, TechnicAtome, Naval Group, CEA, Framatome and Tractebel, the NUWARD SMR solution will be part of EDF’s commitment to help a broad range of clients to decrease their CO2 emissions.
EDF is delivering nuclear power projects today and has more than 60 years of experience in designing, licensing, building and operating nuclear technology around the world. With this expertise, NUWARD is offering a robust and reliable industrialization and construction plan to develop dozens of SMRs in the world in the coming decades.
Executive President of NUWARD
NUWARD is a revolutionary project, combining cutting-edge innovation with remarkable agility. Thanks to our forward-thinking approach and our extensive knowledge of the nuclear industry, we are leading a collective effort fuelled by the expertise of the best industrial partners. Our goal is to become the European reference for SMRs.
The NUWARD SMR has been developed through the contributions of strategic partners, who leverage their expansive skillsets and unique expertise to ensure its success. Combined, these resources enable NUWARD to provide the design and implementation strategy for a safe and reliable energy source almost anywhere in the world.
- EDF and Edvance: Design activities, safety studies, dedicated expertise and research, business development activities.
- CEA: providing core nuclear design expertise, research and testing facilities.
- TechnicAtome and Framatome: Nuclear Steam Supply System (NSSS) and fuel design, safety studies and safety case.
- Naval Group: Design of the steel containment, industrialisation of the Compact Steam Generator, studies on modularity.
- Tractebel: Studies on Conventional Island (CI) and Balance of Plant (BOP), including systems, safety and site-specific studies.
NUWARD benefits from the strong backing of the French government. In October 2021 President Macron announced significant financial and political support for NUWARD as part of the « France 2030 » plan to develop innovative small-scale nuclear reactors in France.